Life is Beautiful...

Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Stroll Down Memory Lane

Next Friday my family will be driving up here to help Jake and I move to Utah! Only 8 more days, and we will be saying goodbye to our first home. This place holds a lot of memories that I will never forget. I thought I would share with you as I ponder those memories. :) 
This is the first sign I saw when I first moved up here letting me know I was home. :)
 We live only 20 miles away from Mount Rushmore! Its more like a half an hour drive though. The roads are so windy and you are driving through the black hills. Jake drives past it on his way to work everyday. We can check that off our list of cool things to see.
 We started out only with what was given to us. No mattress, no furniture, nothing. We slept on an air mattress for the first 2 months. If you have read my last post, I talked about paying off our king sized tempurpedic bed. I'm pretty sure that's why we got such a nice bed. 2 months of an air mattress hurts your back! This is what our apartment looked like for the first 2 weeks or so. I had fun organizing and putting everything away..heh heh. ;)
 Our first night in our apartment I walk into our bedroom and what do I find on the wall? This beauty. Jake said he wanted to make our apartment feel more like home for me. Although it was a sweet gesture, it quickly came down. My husband is known for his dumpster diving skills, who knows where he found it.
 There is a TON of sights, parks, and things to do around here. During the summer we went to Keystone. Its a small little town just before Mount Rushmore. It has a lot of fun actives and rides and a big long strip mall. There was a ginormous slide there, it is a lot like the Alpine Slide for those of you that have been there. Keystone made for a lot of fun dates. :) This is us on a sky ride.
 Last summer we had some CRAZY storms! It rained at least 2-3 times a week. When I first moved up here I was like "Wow, its really rainy up here" to some Walmart clerk one day, and she said that it actually hardly ever rains and that is was abnormal for it to rain so much. I didn't mind tho, I love the rain. One day one of those rain storms turned into a hail storm. We were out looking at couches to buy for our empty apartment and then out of no where it sounded like our car was being hit my huge rocks or something. Jake quickly drove the car up onto the slope of an underpass and we waited it out with many other vehicles. I'm glad we did because when we got home Jake's car had lots of little dents in it. This picture is of Jake holding one the pieces of hail that were falling from the sky. There was also an amazing snow storm that hit us in October. Cars were buried under the snow. The power was out for a week. We lived off of chips and crackers for a couple of days, until the roads were cleared and we could go find some place to eat. We were too afraid to open our fridge because we didn't want any of the cool air to get out. I didn't want all of our food going bad! It made me think of an apocalypse. It was so quiet for 2 days while everyone hid in their homes, then when the sun broke through the clouds, you slowly starting seeing people venture out. Neighbors that I didn't even know I had came and talked to us, everyone was helping everyone dig out their cars. It was quite the experience. I have pictures of it on my FB, for anyone who wants to see.:) Who woulda thought talking about weather would be so interesting? haha
 There is also VERY PRETTY sunsets up here! Jake and I loved going out and watching the sunset.:)
Welp. I'm afraid that's all I got for now. I need to get up and make my husband and I some dinner.... Taco Salad sounds pretty good. I think I'll make that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment